SIXTEEN ISLAND LAKE UNION CHURCH

 
 

Sixteen Island Lake Union Church was conceived by a small group of devoted women, under the leadership of Mrs Tracy Ludington, who, realizing the necessity of Protestant witness in the community, banded together in July 1906 to establish the church. Mr Tracy Ludington provided the beautiful site and the pavilion which was built on it.

For thirty-odd years the entire work, other than money contributions, was carried on by the women of the community, and generally the ministers who conducted the services were entertained over the week-end by the Ludingtons. Upon the death of Mr Ludington, a clause in his will vested to the Union Church in perpetuity, access to the pavilion for Sunday services, provided services are held there each year.

Since Mrs Ludington’s death some years later, a committee of men and women have been appointed yearly by the congregation, to maintain and preserve this lovely little sanctuary in the woods, as its founders would have them do. Let us all do our utmost to keep faith with those who have passed on, and help to build a strong Christian church upon the foundations they laid.

 

May the Lord, mighty Lord,

Bless our church here forever.

Grant us peace, perfect grace,

Courage in every endeavour.

Lift our eyes to see his face,

Feel his grace forever.

May the Lord, mighty Lord

Bless our church here forever.

112 years of worship… and counting