Sixteen Island Lake Union Church
116 years of worship… and counting
Sixteen Island Lake Union Church was conceived by a small group of devoted women, under the leadership of Mrs Tracy Ludington, who, realizing the necessity of Protestant witness in the community, banded together in July 1906 to establish the church. Mr Tracy Ludington provided the beautiful site and the pavilion which was built on it.
For thirty-odd years the entire work, other than money contributions, was carried on by the women of the community, and generally the ministers who conducted the services were entertained over the week-end by the Ludingtons. Upon the death of Mr Ludington, a clause in his will vested in the Union Church in perpetuity, the pavilion and the land on which it stands, provided services are held there each year.
Since Mrs Ludington’s death some years later, a committee of men and women have been appointed yearly by the congregation, to maintain and preserve this lovely little sanctuary in the woods, as its founders would have them do. Let us all do our utmost to keep faith with those who have passed on, and help to build a strong Christian church upon the foundations they laid.
Deborah J. Oldman-Brown, president
Laura Prince, secretary/treasurer
Services will be held on the following Sundays at 10 am:
• July 2 : Simon Hartropp
• July 16: Family service
• July 30: Rijke Rombeek - communion service and possibly hybrid. Contact us for a link.
• August 13: Stephen Gilson